Shell Island Tours in Panama City Beach
Shell Island in Panama City Bay is one of the best examples of the gorgeous world that exists in Florida outside of the theme parks. It’s the Florida that has drawn visitors here for generations. Beautiful, wild and pristine.An undeveloped barrier island off the coast of Panama City Beach, Shell Island is around 7 miles long from east to west. It is known for its sand dunes and its scrub forests, pine hammocks, and its lovely inland lake. The variety of ecosystems on the island supports many different types of wildlife including deer, nesting shorebirds, ghost crabs, and a variety of endangered species, like green and loggerhead turtles.
When we take you and your group on a tour of Shell Island, you’ll see wildlife, gorgeous scenery, and views that will take your breath away. You’ll have opportunities to stop and collect shells, relax privately on a beach, or just sit and enjoy being in a world where humans haven’t yet developed the land.
Whatever you want to see when you tour Shell Island, the guides at Aquatic Adventures will help you find it. They are all local to Panama City Beach, and are familiar with the places that everyone likes to see, as well as the more secluded areas that feel almost private.
5 things you should to know about Shell Island
1. Shell Island is an undeveloped barrier island which lies between the Gulf of Mexico and St. Andrews Bay. No-one lives on the island and there are no stores, restaurants or facilities. It’s just as nature intended – perfect.
2. Things to do on Shell Island include swimming, tanning, walking, kayaking, fishing and the all-time favorite pastime – hunting for shells!
3. There are many local boat companies offering cruises to Shell Island. Journey time is around 30 minutes and you can choose from numerous different styles of vessel. How about a glass-bottomed boat? Or a fancy sunset cruise? Either that or rent a pontoon boat for yourself – it’s easy!
4. Shell Island in Panama City Beach is home to one of the world’s highest concentrations of bottle nosed dolphins. It’s awesome beyond belief to see and interact with these amazing creatures, and they certainly aren’t shy! In addition to dolphins, there are extensive opportunities to see wildlife on Shell Island, perhaps even the odd gator or two!
5. Shell Island is spectacular year-round. All the beaches along Panama City Beach’s coastline are beautiful but this one tops the lot. You can visit any time you like, although to avoid crowds it’s best to make the trip in the off-season when it’s still warm enough to swim. Catch a sunset, pack a picnic or just take in your surroundings.